Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A broken arm.

Yesterday, we decided to go on an outing with the kids. We found this really cute park with a jungle gym, a nice spacious grass area and a little trail into the woods. It was beautiful. We were probably there about an hour and a half and about ready to head home.


The kids were having such a great time...they played...

...we went on this BEAUTIFUL trail into the woods...it was kind of muddy but it was sure gorgeous...

...we even brought snacks and sat on the grass for a while enjoying the day...well...actually...the mosquitoes were eating us alive...but no, we really were having a great time...

When we were about to head home...the kids ran back to play at the jungle gym...Scott and I headed with them and let them play a little longer...they were going down the slides and climbing, etc. I was keeping my eye on them the whole time, making sure they were playing safe, etc. Then, Brielle started climbing on one of the slides on the wrong side, so instead of sliding down the slide, she was climbing it...I always remind them that it's not a good idea to do that. We were so engaged in conversation with this nice guy who was there with his twin girls, that it didn't really register to tell Brielle to stop doing that. Braden was on the other side blocking the entrance of the slide and they both had this little confrontation, I think Brielle might have told him to get out of the way and Braden didn't agree with what Brielle was telling him and he started to push her, (it wasn't a big push, it was a "semi-gentle" push) but it was enough of a push for Brielle to lose her balance and fall off the slide. It was about a 3 feet fall and she landed on top of her left arm/wrist area. We were 10 feet away from them! 10 feet! I didn't make it in time to catch my little girl!!!!! Brielle is a really tough cookie. When she falls she cries for 2 seconds, we comfort her and she gets back up and starts playing right away. This time, it was a DIFFERENT story! She fell pretty hard! She cried uncontrollably, she went pale and kept guarding her arm. It was so sad. I'm so grateful Scott was with me. I was torn between comforting Brielle and being upset with Mr. Braden for pushing! We said goodbye to the twins and the dad and started driving home...

While we were driving, Brielle was still pretty shaken up in the car and kept guarding her little arm. Scott and I debated whether to wait until the next day or take her to the ER right away. We decided to take her to the ER, especially because Brielle herself, said that she needed a doctor. :) It is so not like herself to be so shaken up about falling. Like I said she's a pretty tough little girl. After about an hour and a half wait we finally got in and they took an X-ray of her little arm and sure enough it is fractured right above her wrist. I kept HOPING that it was nothing but it was BAD news. :(

My poor little girl waiting for the doctor to come confirm the x-ray...

This is the copy of Brielle's x-ray they took of her cute little arm...you can kind of see it where it's fractured...it's hard to see on the scanned copy but it's there right next to the arrows...she fractured her radius and ulna...they call it a buckle fracture...according to the radiologist that is the fracture you want to get!!! I rather NOT fracture my arm AT ALL if you ask me!!!

Brielle and Braden were glued to the TV, watching the naughty show I don't like them to watch Spongebob Square Pants...but since Brielle was being such a little trooper and Braden was so good the whole time we let them watch! Look at their faces!!! They are hypnotized!!!:)

She and Braden have made up since...she was pretty upset with him for a while. We were walking out of the hospital after this whole ordeal (by the way, we spent almost 3 HOURS there!). Brielle DEMANDED Braden to give her a hug. She said, "BRADEN, I FORGIVE YOU! GIVE ME A HUG!!!" Braden said to her in a really quiet voice, "I'm sorry Bri-bri" It was one of the most tender moments I have EVER witnessed! Throughout that whole time, of course, I shed quite a few tears!!! It is so hard to see a child hurt, especially when it's your child! She was such a trooper! She kept asking if the nurses were going to give her a present!...ha ha!!! So after the whole thing, we went to get her a Barbie and she requested a Happy Meal for dinner (we very seldom go to McDonald's) so this was a real treat for her!

Today, was a hard day for her...she was really sensitive all day...but she still wanted to go out and play, so we went to the playground behind our place twice! (now that the pool is out of the list of things to do for the next 6 weeks...) :( She keeps asking how much longer she has to wear her cast...and we keep telling her that it has to stay there a LONG, LONG time...6 LONG weeks...that's when she reminds Braden, "Bwaden, no pushing! you broke my arm!!!" I'm afraid Braden will NEVER live down pushing Brielle off the slide!!! We have an appointment tomorrow morning and she's getting a permanent cast...hopefully, it will heal great and we will be MUCH MORE careful from now on...

12 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Poor little girl! But what a trooper. I swear, Brielle gets prettier by the day.

Kris said...

Oh poor brielle! So just wondering, did the Dr.'s nurses hint at any "abuse"? I hate it when you bring a young kid in and they are hurt the first thing they assume is abuse. Any way, kids are kids and accidents happen! It's not your fault, these things just happen!
I think I would be really upset to see my child hurt like that, it is so hard for me, I can't handle it. Sounds like you handled it pretty well though!
I agree with sponge bob, naughty show!
Hope she gets better soon!

Nat said...

Oh the poor thing - both you and her! I'm so sorry. I'm afraid I"m dreading the day that happens to one of our kids. You handled it well though, it sounds like. And she's such a beautiful little girl. Good luck with the next few weeks!

Daija said...

Poor Brielle! What a trooper.

Justin said...

Poor little girl!! I always get so nervous for our first ER visit! I don't know what will happen to me! It looks like you handled it well and so did Brielle. :) PS. I hate Sponge Bob :) hee hee

~Stacey

Boswell Family said...

Poor little thing! She is just a doll...that was so sweet that she told Braden that she forgave him and asked for a hug. YOu are doing something right over there! Let me know if you need anything!

Unknown said...

Wow! Poor Brielle -though she handled it quite smartly if I do say so- she knew she was hurt and needed a dr. impressive. And poor Braiden he will feel terrible for 6 weeks as Brielle reminds him of her arm. haha Hope it heals quickly and smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh poor little Braden & Brielle, I am sure it is no fun for her having a cast on her little arm & no fun him being reminded of his mistake. Sounds like a trying week for you all. I hope next week will be better. I love and miss you all. Hugz
Lanie

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

Ah! What an experience for you all! I always wish that, as a mom, I would be able to shield my daughter from anything bad ever happening. Not quite the mortal experience we signed up for though. I totally agree with Michelle - I love the way they already know how to act like Jesus and forgive and love each other!

brittanyandtravis said...

Poor girl! I hope the 6 weeks go by quickly for you guys.

Emily and Reese said...

Oh my goodness! Broken arms, glasses, it looks like DC isn't treating you very well! I think you need to come back to Idaho! By the way I LOVE Braden in glasses! I think he looks SOOOO cute! Just as you said, a "little stud!" Love you guys!

Brianne said...

awww, so cute. I love little casts! Baylee's made her look so tough!