Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter 2011.



We had a very enjoyable Easter here at the Jensen's. Last Friday, my neighbor told us about an Easter Egg Hunt that was going on at one of the local high schools around here. We didn't hesitate to go since we had missed our Church's because the kids had preschool.

So we joined our nice neighbor and her cute little boys to the Easter egg hunt.



The kiddos were patiently waiting for them to scatter the eggs on the football field.


Braden was NOT in the mood for me to take his picture.


The time finally came for their age group to go hunt for eggs. It was a little bit of a mad house...but they both managed to collect a few...plenty, if you ask me.


Brielle and Braden were both thrilled to have met the Easter Bunny.



The Easter egg hunt was sponsored by Chick-Fil-A, so they had their cow mascot there. Brielle was desperate to meet the "girl" cow. Braden was mesmerized by it too, I think.



Easter Morning came around, and the Easter Bunny had made its way to our house. I do enjoy these little traditions, even though I often feel like they detract from the real meaning of things...but the magic of being a child only lasts for so long...and I thoroughly enjoy making things magical for Brielle and Braden.

They were both thrilled...Scott and I were awakened by Brielle's excited little voice, saying,

"The Easter Bunny came to our house!"


They got a few fun things in their baskets and then we talked about Easter and what it means. We all watched a little children's video that we have about Christ's resurrection and it set the tone for the rest of the day.

Our Church service was so special and I think we all felt the true Spirit of what Easter means to us.

For me, it kind of started the Sunday before. Scott was on call that Sunday. The kids and I managed to get out the door almost to make it on time for sacrament meeting. We frantically made it when they were singing the opening hymn. As we were sitting down, I looked up to the stand and to my surprise I saw a face that I didn't expect to see...

I saw the one and only, Elder Uchtdorf.

An automatic feeling of peace overwhelmed me. It wasn't something I had planned to feel...as a matter of fact, I felt kind of frazzled walking in with my two kids, running a little bit late, trying to find a place to sit and wishing my husband was with us instead of the hospital doing rounds. When I saw Elder Uchtdorf, I felt peace, it was a feeling that caught me by surprise.

I couldn't wait to hear him speak. It was such a great surprise.

I was uplifted beyond words.

He analyzed D&C 12:8

"And no one can assist in this work except he shall be humble and full of love, having faith, hope and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be entrusted to his care."

I can't even put into words how much that scripture touched me.

As he spoke, I couldn't hold back tears. I was humbled. Things like these are not coincidences. Heavenly Father knows us individually. It sounds so cliche. But sometimes truth sounds cliche and we neglect to deeply reflect on what they really mean. I needed that visit. I felt so loved by Heavenly Father. I felt like he is so aware of me.

As Easter approached I felt so grateful. That visit, by an apostle, somehow, made me realize how individual Christ's atonement really is. Yes, he died for you and me, but it is so much more individual and personal than that. Although, His sacrifice is general, I'm coming to slightly understand that it is also very specific.


It was nice to spend time together on Easter Sunday. I'm SO glad Scott wasn't on call last Sunday! (He was incredibly sad that he missed Elder Uchtdorf's visit the Sunday before!)

We talked to Brielle and Braden about the special people in our lives that we will be able to see again some day because of our Savior's sacrifice.


After our yummy Easter dinner (Pioneer Woman's Pot Roast recipe)!!! So delicious!, We had some good family fun dying eggs.



The kids loved every second...


it was the first time we had done it together as a family.


This little girl cracks me up!


Showing off our little creations...



Scottie was getting a little carried away...:)


We have so many hard boiled eggs in our fridge now...

...we have been eating egg salad sandwiches around here!:)

7 comments:

AZ Larsens said...

Mmm! I love egg salad sandwiches!

Is it just me or do giant Easter Bunnies kind of look creepy?

Cute pics as always Denisse!

granyj said...

In my minds eye I was there with you all enjoying the fun of Easter. What a treat to have Pres. Uckdorf at your sacrament meeting. Clay called to ask if I'd read your blog so I had to see the one of Brielle that he was still laughing about. WHAT AN EXPRESSION!! Love the cute pictures of any of the greats on the blogs.

Unknown said...

what an awesome Easter season you've had! Love your family

Erin said...

Fun!! Now I am craving an egg salad sandwiche :)

All is well, I've just taken a break from blogging! I will get with it again here shortly!

Nat said...

Denisse, I just love your posts! You always make me feel so much better about life. I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful Easter - and so jealous you got to enjoy a visit by President Uchtdorf! It is Nicolas lifelong dream (well, one of many, I guess :-)) to have lunch with Elder Uchtdorf. :-) What a neat experience. Happy Easter! We sure love you guys. Oh, and thanks so much for the tips on blogging templates and bigger pictures, etc. They've all worked beautifully, and I love it!

Becca said...

I always love your kids expressions. You guys are such a fun family!!

Jani Jo said...

Such great Easter pics! Happy MOther's Day!