The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays.
I love this country and feel grateful for the opportunities it has given me.
I became even more fond of it when 2 days after the 4th of July of 2003 Scott and I had our first kiss. I can't believe that was 8 years ago! So, every time around this time of the year I think about our courtship and how happy I am to have met such a great guy!
This year, it was special. Our kids have gotten to such a fun age and they get so excited about holidays. I'm grateful that Scott and I get to create memories for them.
Braden walked into our bedroom on the 4th, Scott and I still half asleep and said:
"Today, is a special day. It's firework day!"
A couple of days earlier, Scott and the kids had bought a bag full of fireworks. We tried to explain over breakfast that the 4th is much more than 'firework day'. But, fireworks, was the only thing Braden could think about.
We had a little barbecue with some of our friends. The food was delicious and the company was excellent. We always enjoy spending time with John and Rebecca, always good conversation.
Brielle and Braden quickly ate and off to play they went.
I made a fruit pizza and asked Scott to decorate it...this is his work. It turned out very nice. He was proud of it!:)
After the barbecue, I was feeling a bit weary, but we had promised the kids that we would all go to the pool afterward.
We couldn't break our promise.
I'm glad we didn't because we had such a fun time as a family.
Our 'flying marsupial'!
Our kids LOVE to watch 'Wild Kratz' on PBS. They both LOVE that show so much. They learned about flying marsupials and they have been talking about those flying marsupials ever since they watched it, about 2 months ago.
Those kids make me laugh.
The pool wore us all out, so we came home took a nap and woke up to head to the fireworks.
We couldn't have gotten a better spot. The show was great.
We had a great time watching the show and I LOVED watching my kids' faces while they were watching the fireworks. They did complain it was too loud and Brielle asked a few times if it was over yet...but their initial reaction was priceless and I will look forward to many years of this fun tradition.
We couldn't end the day without doing our own little fireworks. Brielle was out. But Braden had waited ALL day to do fireworks. Scott showed him how to use the lighter (after a serious conversation that he is NEVER to light anything while mommy or daddy are not there!). He was just a proud little boy that we were letting him do it all by himself.
He couldn't get enough of it!
I can't remember why I'm laughing so hard in this picture...
The following night, since Brielle had fallen asleep on the 4th, we went out and finished the rest of the fireworks with Brielle.
It couldn't have been a better 4th of July. I loved spending it as a family, sharing fun times together and feeling grateful that we get to be free to live our lives. I'm grateful for this time to reflect on the freedoms and opportunities that I have been given.
America is a beautiful place.






4 comments:
I love that shot of Braden flying through the air. Awesome.
Wow, Scott did a good job on that fruity pizza! Looks like you guys had fun!
So fun! I love that my kids are still young enough to be so enthralled by even the lamest of fireworks displays! Such joy in simple things! I had to laugh at Braden being a flying marsupial. My kids LOVE Wild Kratts and are always pretending to be different animals or even Chris and Martin. It's hilarious!
I am so happy that Braden got to enjoy the fireworks day. And, my goal in life is to take awesome family pictures like you do to capture all the fun moments. Always great to see your blogposts! Hope you are doing well!
Post a Comment