Monday, August 26, 2013

Our Summer Days Part III



We love all the hiking trails here in Utah; I love discovering all these fun places together with Scott and the kids.  This time we headed to Rocky Mouth trail.  The trail is hidden in between these huge houses in Sandy.  At first we were a little confused and it took us a little to find it but we finally found it.  It didn't take long to get to the waterfall and it was so beautiful.  We had lunch up there and the kids loved playing in the water and with the rocks.  The waterfall was fun and we were able to watch some people repelling down from it. I'm grateful that we get to experience the outdoors as a family.  It helps me realize how much we have to be grateful for.  Heavenly Father's creations are so amazing and beautiful.  I'm grateful that we all have healthy bodies and we can get to some beautiful spots.  I hope our kids have memories of our outdoor activities, because I know for me, those are some of my favorite memories as a child.  

 ******

We were able to get to Provo a few times this summer to spend time with my sister and her little Vanessa. She is growing way too fast and I'm so glad that they are only a drive away.  
We took the kids to splash pad and they had a great time.  We experienced some very hot days this summer, so it's always nice to be able to cool down at the splash pad.  


I wanted to take a picture with all the kids, but Brooke wasn't having it.  She was not a happy camper. 


She was a lot happier playing in the water. 


Nya took a picture of me and Vanessa then Brooke got a bit jealous and decided that she also wanted to be in the picture!


We had a great time together and I'm glad that I got to hold and play with my little niece!

******


My mom went to Florida to see 3 of her siblings who live there.  It had been quite a few years since they had been able to get together, so my mom stayed there for 6 weeks.  She rode the AMTRAK because she is terrified of flying.  She cracks me up and I make fun of her about this...Anyway, my mom loves adventures, that's how she saw her 4 day trip there and 4 day trip back-'va a ser una aventura!', she said.  It will be an adventure.  I love that she sees life that way.  While she was in Florida, she and my aunt Ruthy worked on this BIG surprise.  My mom kept telling me about 'la gran sorpresa', the BIG surprise every time we talked on the phone.  They worked on it the whole time she was there.  

She was right, it was one of the most meaningful surprises EVER! 
They sewed these traditional Peruvian clothes for all four of my mom's grandchildren.  Every detail was careful sewn and put together.  So much thought went into it.  
I love my roots and where I come from, I am grateful that my mom teaches my children about our heritage and culture as something to be proud of, because our roots are something to celebrate and appreciate.


We played some huayno (a traditional Peruvian dance) and we danced and danced.  The kids were so into it and loved it.  


I'm so glad that my children have a diverse background, we don't only get to talk about their Peruvian heritage but about their Danish, German, English, French, Spanish...they are a wonderful mix! 
I am grateful that my mom took the time to give us this wonderful gift, which as I told her, really is a treasure.    
******

I took the kids to Gilgal Sculpture Garden to have a picnic.  I have to admit, some of the sculptures were a little strange but the setting was really pretty with trees and grass to lay a blanket and have a picnic.  You would never know that it is where it is, unless you know what you're looking for.  It was a fun excuse to go have a picnic and the kids enjoyed running around until it got scorching hot and everyone was ready for nap/quiet time at home with air conditioning.  


This sphinx with Joseph Smith's head was interesting...


There are interesting scriptures written on the stepping stones and the whole garden has an interesting feel to it.  I appreciated the creativity and time that was put into it and I'm glad that we were able to go. 

2 comments:

Lanie said...

The Rocky Mouth Trail is so pretty! Did you guys take the rope down the water fall? I love the picture of Braden drawing a map, or at least what looks to be a map. Vanessa is so cute. I think you are right she looks a lot like her dad. I would so love to play with the kids in the water park. It looks like so much fun. Sometimes I wish I was still a little kid. Those Peruvian outfits are just so cute. I love them. I wish I could have gone to the festival with you guys. The rock sculptures look interesting lol. The Sphinx with Joseph Smith's head, haha so funny.

AZ Larsens said...

I LOVE the Peruvian outfits! I got teary eyed when I read about them, thinking of your mom making those for your kids. How thoughtful and how awesome for your kids to have those, something special they will treasure forever. :)