The year 2002, was the last time I stepped into the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean is part of me. I have countless memories in the ocean, both the Pacific and the Atlantic. In PerĂº, we lived 2 blocks away from the beach and the same goes for Miami. I never quite realized how fond I am of the ocean until last week when we took a trip to Ocean City in Maryland. Scott did some research about affordable campsites at close by beaches and found Ocean City. We packed up and left last Monday. It was about a 4-hour drive. The first thing we noticed when we stepped out of the car was the bugs! They were feasting on us instantly! We didn't think to bring repellent but got some as quickly as we could...$9.99 later and repellent in hand, we thought we were safe...apparently these bugs were repellent resistant because we were their feast for the rest of the trip...just imagine yourself biting into a succulent piece of meat...with that same satisfaction were these bugs biting us. Scott went to put up our tent, while the kids, my brother and I went to play at the beach.
Stepping onto the hot sand brought dozens of memories. Brielle and Braden were both in heaven, just as I was as a child in the beaches of Peru. There is something serene and inviting about the ocean. The smells and the sound of the waves brought many happy memories...it almost made me forget about the impertinent biting flies all around us. For a moment I wished I could transfer all of those happy memories to my children so that they can see with their own eyes, feel and experience what the ocean has given me. I guess my stories will have to do. Hopefully we will visit the ocean often enough they'll create memories of their own.

My little old man...:)

Brielle was in heaven...

Eating sand...
There are wild ponies in this area of Maryland. They just run wild around the beach and all over the place. They are beautiful and at first we were mesmerized by them until they started to get too friendly and too close to us and one almost stepped on Braden...we stayed away from them from then on...
Scott got back from setting up camp, we spent a little longer at the beach then headed to or campsite...

We were filthy...

and sweaty...
We had dinner at almost 9pm. Our tin-foil dinner was delicious. The kids were tired and we were all ready for bed after dinner. We were all filthy and had sand everywhere. We headed to take a shower. By the time we got to the shower house I think had 5 bug bites on my legs and 5 on my arms. We made it back to the tent, sighting relief...thinking that we were safe from the fierce bites of these bugs!...we were so wrong!!! About 2 in the morning I woke up itching EVERYWHERE...I was exhausted and all I could think about was my comfy bed, bug-free back in Virginia...Around 2:30am. Scott and I grabbed the kids to go sleep in the car...my brother was in his own little tent, I don't think he got any bugs in his tent like we did.
We got up EARLY the next day, had breakfast and headed to the beach. In spite of the annoying biting flies, and the awful night's rest we had, the simple fact that we were at the beach seem to make it all better.
Scott keeps telling me that he wants to go live in Florida for a few years before we settle somewhere for a while...I'm thinking that might just be a great idea...:)



















15 comments:
oh my goodness! don't bugs just make you go crazy!??
i love flordia too!!!!!!! and the ocean is the best... no other place like it.
p.s. i L O V E brielle's suit. so cute.
what great pictures. Looks like you had a time dispite being a bugs feast.
I love the beach and the ocean! I could spend all summer there! Cute pictures! That's crazy about the wild ponies!! I'd be so scared. And yeah, I agree about living in FL for a few years and then settling somewhere else. We might end up doing residency there. That's crazy that I was right by where you grew up! I think I remember my Scott telling me that, but had completely forgot until you mentioned it again. Small world!!
That looks like a fun trip... except for the biting flies. Next trip to the beach you will have to get some extra strength bug stray there is also this wonderful thing called a bug zapper; they attract the bugs and fry them! I think there are some candles too. I bet if you used all that next time you will have a much better sleep. Thanks for sharing all those lovely pictures. I especailly loved the one of Braden's cute little belly; it made me giggle. So Florida huh, maybe I will have to visit in the winter time when you move there. I should be a teacher by then and if I can get a job in a year round school then I could come visit in the winter. I sure love and miss you all. Hugz
Lanie
Could you please email those pictures of Braden and Brielle on the side of your blog in the brown and cream and teal clothing? Especially the one where they are holding hands. I would like to print them and hang them on my carebear picture board in my room. Also if you could send me a couple of you and Scott too so I can print you guys ;) Thanks bunches!
Oh, how I miss the beach! What fun summer adventures you guys have had. Great memories!!
you are one brave mama! i'm wimpy and HATE the sand in every crevice of isaac's body. i'm sure i'll let my guard down one day. ps. i LOVE the pic of braden's sandy belly.
I love the beach also. Enjoyed the east coast when CJ graduated our first time in the Atlantic. My first time at a beach was when i was 18 years old and Tanners took me to a beach out of Palo Alto, Ca.Crazy how those memory's all flood back. Love all of you
your pictures are awesome! I need to know what camera you have!!
So fun! It will be great memories. I love the ocean, as well. I used to get homesick for it when I was younger. I love the picture of Braden's sandy belly! So cute.
i like how you tell stories hermanita!!! you're getting really good with the camera!!! passion and art flows in our veins! te quiero mucho!!! you forgot to mention the sunburns...
and more details about the sand castles...
What a beautiful beach! Sorry about the bugs.
Fun trip...minus the bugs. One of my friend camped out there recently and said the same thing about being biten. Seriously, why do bugs always have to put a damper on the fun being had?!? Bugs aside, your pictures make me want to go back to the beach. I love the beach...and I'm jealous you've lived so close to it throughout your life.
What a fun trip! (minus the bugs)
Post a Comment