I usually try to keep an eternal perspective about this stage of my life, but my kiddos have been driving me CRAZY these last couple of weeks, my white carpet is driving me bonkers and the fact that I don't have a yard to just let my kids play in is making feel so anxious for a change...I think blogging in so many ways, helps me keep an eternal perspective...when I gather my pictures and see what we've been doing and sharing together, I realize that we do have a great life...and I really shouldn't complain when my kids are acting like monkeys, I can't keep my white carpet clean and we don't have a yard...but sometimes it just feels good to complain! After all, life is not a walk in the park all the time and those little inner battles to keep positive are what keep life real.
You really wouldn't know how nuts my children have been driving me when you look at these pictures though...

We got some pink and blue nail polish, I painted Brielle's nails and she thought she was so cool!
A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctor to get a yearly physical. I found out that my cholesterol is borderline, I'm pretty close to being pre-diabetic, my white count was low and I'm still vitamin D deficient...GRRREAT...I think all of that just made me feel so depressed! I'm telling you, 30 is NOT a good number...the doctor said, I need to cut down on carbs...really? I try so hard to make balanced, healthy meals for our family...now, I almost have this love-hate relationship with food...what the heck can I eat? It's SO annoying! (The doctor re-checked my white count a second time though, and it came back normal...so that's good, at least I'm not anemic.)
Scott has made me feel better about the whole thing, saying that I probably don't need to change my diet too much but I do NEED and MUST be more active! You would think that chasing after two kids would count as being active...it seems like since this last winter came, I've just become this sedentary human being...it's horrible...so I have to go back to my old ways before the winter started, and go on a long walk almost every day.
We've been doing it...
Even though, it's challenging with the kiddos because they get tired and they stop often, it's been fun.
They love exploring and being outside...
I sure made them walk, that day we probably walked for about 2 miles...they were tired and took their sweet time.

One of the things I LOVE about Virginia is all the walking trails they have...half the time you wouldn't know it though because they are hidden by the trees...there seriously is so much to discover behind all of the trees...I found the most amazing trail only about a 5 minute drive from our house. You seriously feel like you are in the middle of the forest, away from the city.
What's a post without Brielle's sass?
So, the kids were playing by this little bridge over the cutest little creek, when all a sudden, we turn around to head back to the trail and Brielle says:
"Look! Look at the snake!"
Oh my heck! My heart! It started beating really, really fast and it went even faster when Brielle started walking towards it with the intention of grabbing the ugly reptile!!!! I freaked out! I couldn't believe she was about to go grab that thing! Braden was a lot more timid about it, he kind of just grabbed my leg and stayed close to me.
I am definitely NOT a fan of snakes!
It was such a hot day that day, when we got back the kids wanted me to go spray them with the hose outside, they were so excited about it. When we got there, the water was turned off...
They were devastated...but at least I got these cute pictures of them in their swimming suits!

Last Saturday, our ward's primary had a temple trip planned for the children. I couldn't pass the opportunity to take my children to the temple...and I think I needed to go the most...at least to be there and walk around the grounds.
It was such a blessing to be there! The only thing that could have made this visit better, was if Scott could have made it. (He's been going to an intense Kaplan course to get him ready for boards, they've been having class even on Sunday!...poor guy, but I think it's going to be worth it, he's been loving the teachers and the information that they're giving him.)
After the planned activity, the kids and I weren't quite ready to go home, so we walked around the temple grounds a little longer and found the most beautiful nature trail.
I was wearing heels but it was worth it! It was perfect!
Later that day, we went out again and had a little photo session with me.

Even though, these two keep me on my toes, they are sure cute and I love them.

Last Wednesday, Brielle had a field trip to the farm. Braden and I joined her class and it was fun to be there and watch Brielle with her little friends.

It was a fun field trip.
The next day, my dear husband forgot his book for his class, so we drove to D.C. to drop it off. Since we were already there, we decided to stick around and wait for his lunch break. While we waited, the kids and I headed to the National Cathedral, one of my FAVORITE places here...

We walked around for just a little bit and then realized that we needed to get back to meet up with Scott at G.W...I was bummed because we didn't make it around to the entrance where they have these beautiful doors that I wanted to take pictures of...there's always next time...
I guess, after all, it has been a great couple of weeks...blogging is good for me...it helps me keep an eternal perspective.
Remember the caterpillar Brielle caught a few weeks ago that made a cocoon? Well...it hatched!
Pictures to come...


16 comments:
Try the battlefields in Manassas. They are beautiful and right next to a creek! Although we saw a snake there, but he was swimming, so it was cute instead of frightening. Hasn't the weather been so bipolar lately? I'm glad you are enjoying the nice days!
Such cute pictures of your kids! Call us next time you go out on a walking trail... Preston loves your kids and we need to get out more! (We wish we had a yard too.)
you're welcome to our yard ANY time! What was the walking trail a few minutes from your house you found? I've been looking for places like that that'll be cool over the summer in the mornings. I love seeing your pictures...the kids have such personaliy...yes...tons of sass from Brielle! As it should be!
Great pictures! I loved the temple ones!
Oh how cute the litle ones are. I couldn't pick a picture that I liked better than any one of them. I went to a funeral last sat. and aman came in and ask if he could sit by me. Then before the funeral started he discussed the weather as it was cold wet and awful. His remark was so much for globale warming. We had snow yesterday didn't stay thankfully. today beautiful.
This was a great post! I think every Mom (at least me) can relate to kids just wearing you down. My boys have been totally crazy lately too. I think it's hard for moms to get very much exercise because even if you are sitting down most of the day, just having the kids around makes you tired. you still have to wait on them, discipline them, break up fights, fix food, etc... It is just tiring.
Your pictures look SO beautiful! I love how there are so many trees, and it's so green there! Happy Walking! I hope your kids go easy on you for a while!
Denisse,
Are those "off the beautiful trail" pics from your camera?? Do you mind reminding me again what kind yours is... I've been looking!
Also,
The other day I swore you were going to be in Idaho. Maybe I have the dates wrong. Text me 757.1308... Jeremy and I REALLY want to see you guys!
It sounds like you have been busy. Anytime I get too stressed over the kids or the house getting trashed we have to head outside or go somewhere...and magically things improve within minutes! Great photos!!!
I would just like to say that after Nick was in dental school for 2 years I, too, just kind of got worn out! I just got very restless & flustered & wanted life to move a bit faster (at least his schooling to move faster). You have found the perfect remedy, though: just being out and enjoying life w/those gorgeous kids! And what days are you going to be in I.F.? I would love if we could meet for lunch at the park & let the kiddos play:) And I'll invite Brooke, too!
Great pictures as always! I completely understand about wanting a change and feeling restless. I get like that every year, only we usually move every year which has it's ups and downs. And my kids this week have driven me nuts as
well. So know you are not alone! I think most moms feel the same way.
It can be hard to exercise, but I've found you just have to make the time. There are so many benefits that it's worth squeezing it in. I have found I can't usually exercise in the morning like I like, but I have to do it after the kids go to sleep. I can tell you which videos I really like or help you get a routine going. So you can tell people you work with a trainer :) (I almost have my certification, hurray!) Hang in there, you're doing a great job!
Denisse! I'm not sure if you remember me. We were friends up at BYU-I years ago. I don't even know exactly how I found your blog....(clicking around on friends of friends of friends blogs & you're name jumped out at me).
I just wanted to tell you that it is so good to see you doing well! It makes me happy. :) Congratulations on everything!
-Ginny (Happnie)
I hear ya! Way to look on the bright side, Virginia is beautiful and you are so good at taking advantage of it. I love that about you! You are always up for an adventure.
Love all the pics, they are so beautiful!
You take such beautiful pictures, Dennise to commemorate all the moments of your life with your children. I love it! Thanks for being real. Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves how lucky we are, even in the midst of a hard day! :)
I absolutely loved your blog. It keeps me sane as well. I loved all of your pictures. I especially loved the swim suite one with Brielle holding the naked Barbie. That's how all of Denim's are too.
Don't worry Denisse....I complain about not having a back yard all the time!!! :) They joys of living in the city. The kids look cute as ever!! I also love the nakey Barbie doll. Love it! Miss you guys!!!
~Stacey
I just love reading your blog. You empower and inspire me to be a better mother and, more importantly, enjoy being a mother. I love you and your sweet family. When I grow up, I want to be like you! Thank you!
And kind of as a side note, I had gestational diabetes with Avery, and then found out that I have insulin resistance, which leads to being pre-diabetic. I've had to do a low-carb diet for a while so if you need any tips or food ideas, let me know! Sometimes it's nice to commiserate together! :-) Love ya!
Post a Comment