There is an interesting phenomenon that I have witnessed with my children, as a matter of fact, I experience it almost everyday.
It is what I call 'the gathering around mother phenomenon'.
It is a very interesting phenomenon and it occurs mostly in the mornings and when I'm making dinner.
It seems to me, that the necessity to be around mother is just inevitable. I have 3 little shadows following me around the house...or they just gather underfoot.
In the mornings, all 3 of them sit outside the bathroom while I am getting ready...I have to remind them that I need my privacy, they patiently wait until I have some clothes on and then they 'gather'. They bring their clothes and shoes and get ready there...
Then, at dinner time while I'm in the kitchen the same phenomenon occurs. They 'gather' underfoot. They are mostly doing their own thing...often playing with Brooke...or coloring...or playing with a toy...or talking to each other...but they HAVE to be close to me. It reminds me of mother bear and her cubs, or a lioness and her cubs, or monkeys and their babies..I think this phenomenon occurs with most mammals...I guess it shouldn't surprise me that it happens with humans...we are mammals after all. I have heard the most interesting conversations among Brielle and Braden when this happens and I have had some good conversations with them as well...but mostly, not much is being said. It is just that 'need' to be close to their mother.
I enjoy it.
I am reminded of an Ensign article I read a while ago, which I actually posted on this blog. It must be a message that I must need because the article touched me deeply again...HERE is the article.
I am reminded of an Ensign article I read a while ago, which I actually posted on this blog. It must be a message that I must need because the article touched me deeply again...HERE is the article.
5 comments:
I remember reading that article and I love it! So true. In our family, I am amused (and I'll admit, sometimes annoyed) by the fact that even when Daddy is around and available, they all still come to me for everything they want or need. Even when we're sitting in church, most of the time all the kids want to sit by me and that's just not possible. Sometimes I look over at Denver during sacrament meeting and he has a good foot radius around him with no one in it. I on the other hand have 4 kids trying to sit beside me and on me. I usually just sigh and laugh. Denver always just says, "I can't help it if they love you best!" Can't argue with that!
Ah... the life of a mom! I know it can be hard sometimes, but it's such a blessing too (as you well know!) Your blog post and Ensign article actually remind me of what President Monson said in a conference a few years ago about how enjoy the little fingerprints because you will miss them. Enjoy those little cubs gathering 'round! :)
It's been too long! I just spent the last twenty minutes catching up with you and your cute family. So excited for you all and your upcoming adventure. It is always hard to say goodbye but great things await!
Your kids are just too cute, really. They are beautiful.
My mom often reminds me to sit down every once in a while and let the kids "gather" because they will. It is so true and the more I do it the more I realize I need to be still more often :)
I love that you named this phenomenon. It's sooooo true. And thanks for sharing the Ensign article. I needed to read it again.
I love this post! You always seem to write the most perfect things. This is so true! My kids have their "gathering" times too. Usually it ends up frustrating me because it's always a little chaotic. But I need to remember to cherish it instead, and pay attention to the little things they say and do during this time. Thanks for the wonderful reminder!
Post a Comment