Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thoughtful and Genuine.

Something magical happens at dinnertime around here and it consistently amuses me...  
(I wonder if this is the reason that it is statistically proven that families that eat together, stay together....)
I don't know what it is about dinnertime, but my children share with me their deepest thoughts and concerns about their little world.  
It is quite special and I treasure these moments dearly.  
Today was particularly interesting...
I have to give a bit of a preface to the story...mornings are hectic in this house.  
I'm sure it is similar for most who have school age children; 
trying to get children out the door every day is quite the job, 
some days it seems like an odyssey.  
I must confess, that at times I am not at my best, I get impatient and frazzled.  
Especially when I feel like the children are moving in slow motion, 
and I'm trying to get everyone out the door.  
This morning was like most mornings, except today, 
I ran out of time and didn't get to do Brielle's hair.  

While eating dinner today, Brielle was sharing her feelings about the fact that I didn't do her hair this morning.
She shared that she had felt embarrassed and sad because all of her little friends had braids and pony tails and she didn't.  
Then in a very thoughtful and genuine way Braden informed her, 
"Brielle, I like your hair the way it is, I think you are beautiful." 
The thoughtfulness of his remarks made me teary-eyed.  
How does a 5 year old get this thoughtful? 
...and not only thoughtful but the sincerity of his voice and tone.  
He really meant it...and I could tell it meant a lot to Brielle. 

It was one of those moments that I felt deeply thankful that I can experience this life with them. 
They make my life full. 

2 comments:

Justin and Stacey said...

What a cutie Braden!! It's those moments that give us energy to keep trying to be a good mom. I NEED those kinds of moments! You have the cutest kids. Give them a squeeze from me!

Monette and Mark said...

Oh I LOVE it!! Reading it made me a little teary-eyed :) Little moments like that mean so much!