Friday, May 2, 2008

Gray Hairs: The reality of my mortality!

The other night I was getting ready for bed, I was brushing my teeth and looking myself in the mirror when I saw a gray hair on my head. It wasn't too much of a surprise since I have found a few before. Let me emphasize the a few. I pulled the one I had found and started looking to see if I would find more...oh did I find more...I found 7!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. The reality of my mortality sank in (so dramatic I know...but I felt so old!!!). Then I came to bed, Scott was sleeping so I couldn't talk to anyone about it, so I just started to think. I started to think about aging and what it means and why we are so afraid of it. After all, aging is part of mortality and it is inevitable. It is happening to everyone! Why are we so afraid of aging, if with aging not only do we find gray hairs but we also become more mature, we see life in a more profound way, we gain the experience that we wished for when we chose to come to earth. Shouldn't I be grateful for the fact that the more years I gain of life the better I become? At least we hope that's the case!:) I guess, this topic has been on my mind lately because I will turn 28 this year and that is 2 years closer to 30. And to me that is BIG! 30! Oh man! I never thought that I would be so afraid of a number!!! But I keep asking myself why? Why am I so afraid of aging? I guess I have acquired the worldly mentality that I want to have a nice figure and I don't want all the things that happen to our bodies with age to happen to me...but when I was about 8 or 9 I remember looking at my grandparents and thinking they were the most beautiful people...I loved their white hair and I loved looking at the wrinkles on theirs hands and faces...is that just weird that I noticed those things? I remember both of my grandfathers being in love with their beautiful white haired wives and I never ever remember them complaining about what age had brought to their physical bodies. The same goes for both of my parents. My conclusion on aging is the obvious one, I just have to embrace it. Of course it is easier to embrace the wisdom that comes with aging more than the gray hairs that I found the other night.

11 comments:

brittanyandtravis said...

I know I'm weird but I can't wait to get little laugh lines. I think they are cute and give you a "I love life" look. I didn't know you were turning 28 you look younger. I think you looks so young and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

ok, I now realize that Brielle really is just a little version of you. HOLY COW! That picture proves it. And if you look just like your 2 year old, you cant look that old right?

AZ Larsens said...

Haha, welcome to the "grey hair club"! I've been a member for about a year!

The other day J.J. was looking at my face and he said, "Mommy! You have lots of lines on your face!" Love it! ;)

Justin and Stacey said...

Denisse, I love your blog! I love all of the things that you write about and your take on different aspects of life. I think I am nervous to get older but excited at the same time. I was just reading a section out of "I am a Mother" and she talks about enjoying each season of life. It will be weird as we start getting gray hair and wrinkles but it will also be so fun to see our kids grow up and start their own families. Plus, just think (this is a little more on the vain side of things!) the older we get, the closer our husbands will be to actually having a career and making some real money!! I am excited to not be poor anymore!!!! :) hee hee! Had to add that part in there!

Justin and Stacey said...

PS. You look so darn CUTE in that picture!! :)

Rebecca Robison said...

you are amazingly beautiful... and besides, grey is the new sexy when it comes to aging. (at least that is what i think, but then again, i guess i have always wanted to be 50...)!
can't wait to have you guys over for dinner you hot momma you!

Unknown said...

Great perspective about aging! I like getting older but I am afraid of what I might look like in 30 years. I like watching old couples hold hands and look so in love. That's what I want, a life of love and to look back without regret and having experienced all I can.

PS David has had gray hairs since forever.

The Woods said...

Gray hair or no gray hair...you're pretty cute.

Kris said...

You have such a profound way of putting things. I feel the same way, approaching 30 is a little scary some times. I think we have this perception of looking old is not good because that is what the world tells us. They say "get liposuction, and botax, and enhance certain parts of your body." but I think it's just a way the world aka Satan makes us feel less about ourselves to bring us down. Old is beautiful! Although you think about it and 30 is not that old, not quite half your life time if yo live to 80 something :)
I think if we are doing what we can to take care of our bodies, eat right exercise and what not that the Lord will bless us with our own beauty! I love reading your insights on topics like this.

TerriLyn said...

I've found a few gray hairs too. No biggy! You are so beautiful and will stay that way the rest of eternity! Thanks for your words of wisdom!

gonzo said...

you havent changed a bit. i remember that picture.