Tuesday, May 26, 2009

One Down...

A zillion to go!!!!:) ha ha! Scott officially FINISHED his first year of medical school on Friday! After the craziest test week of his LIFE, staying up 30 hours straight with a half an hour power nap!...He is officially a second year medical student!!!!!

Wow! It has been quite the year for him! Undergrad is NOTHING compared to medical school! Scott has worked so hard this year! I'm so proud of him and all of his hard work and dedication! It has been rewarding to really realize what he's getting himself into and come to the realization that yes, he really WANTS to be a doctor.

He's had days where I can see that this realization weighs down on him, I mean seriously he WILL have many lives depending on him! One specific time, on a random day, we were talking and he was feeling a little bit overwhelmed with this incredible responsibility that he has CHOSEN on himself-for some reason while he was sharing with me his concerns, in my mind I went back 7 years ago (before I even knew who Scott Jensen was) to the Barrus Concert Hall in the Snow Building at BYU-Idaho where I was sitting down watching the dedication of the Gordon B. Hinckley building and the prophet then, Gordon B. Hinckley was on campus. His whole talk was amazing and I cried like a baby but I remember specifically when he said:

"You are just simple kids. You are not geniuses...But the work of the world isn't done by geniuses. It is done by ordinary people who have learned to work in an extraordinary way."

I shared this with Scott and we shared a special moment together and I think we both realized that it doesn't take a genius to go to medical school but it does take time and dedication to go through it!

One year down...we can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel but at least we are moving forward!!!

WAY TO GO SCOTTIE!!!
A few crazy facts:
1. Scott will graduate medical school in 2012. If he choses to do a specialty he will be done with residency in 2017.
2. In 2017, Brielle will be 11 and Braden will be 10.
3. We will both be 37 years old.
4. He will have been going to school a total of 13 years.

17 comments:

Jana said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Valerie said...

Congrats! That first year is really hard. But then again, none of them are very pleasant.

Rebecca Robison said...

HOLY COW you guys! We are so proud of Scott- tell him way to go. I love that talk too! When I was reading about your talk, it gave me chills! He will be an amazing dotor and bless so many people because of his dedication.

Betsy Hollingshead said...

I remember that exact quote from Pres. Hinckley. Tell Scott congratulations (and good luck for the next few years)! I hope you guys have a great summer together!

Jodi said...

Hey Denisse. Congrats to the both of you this year. I was just speaking with a sister in the ward that's 32 years old who's husband just finished medical school and the best think she said is focus on the process and not the goal and you will be happy and "less" crazy.
Robby finishes neuro anatomy this week. AHHH.

Jodi

Nat said...

Woohoo! I am so proud of you both! And thanks for sharing that beautiful thought by President Hinckley. It's a good reminder for us too! Good luck with all the years to come. You'll do great!

Jani Jo said...

Honestly, that is such a HUGE accomplishment! Good job Scott! Plus, your fun-filled weekend sounds great!

brittanyandtravis said...

Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment (for both of you)!

Unknown said...

Keep plugging along! Congrats on the first year down. We wish you the best of luck (especially if you go until 2017) Enjoy your long summer with some well deserved relaxation and family vacation.

PS Thanks Denisse for your comment, I am so grateful for wise, comforting friends and mommies.

Sarah Stout said...

Yay! Congrats... I'm so glad that Scott is excited about his future career. :)

P.S. Those are some crazy facts that included at the end!

Justin and Stacey said...

Hooray for Scott! What an accomplishment. Really, that is so awesome that you have chosen such a great profession and have the dedication to get through all the hard work. You will be one great doctor some day!! Congrats!

adrienne said...

Yay! One of my brothers just graduated from Medical school a couple of weeks ago. They have 4 kids ages 11, 9, 6, and 3. A little preview of your life for you! It's such an accomplishment! Way to go!

Emily and Reese said...

YEAH!!!! You survived the first year! Congrats to you BOTH!!! (Because I'm sure med. school is just as hard for you Dee!) Love you all!!! Miss you!

Becca said...

YAY for Summer!!! And congrats on that accomplishment. :)

The Campbell Family said...

Way to go Scott (and Denisse, for surviving it along side). I thought putting Ben through 7 years of school was hard. I liked your Gordon B. Hinckley quote. It really fit. Hope you have a great summer and enjoy the time off.

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

Congrats Scott! I can't believe it has been a year already. It seems like you guys just moved to D.C.! Crazy!! Keep up the good work!

Alyson said...

enjoy your summer!!