Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter.


I'm sick with a cold. Everyone else seems to be feeling better except for me. It's a good thing I'm sick right in the middle of winter because I really don't think I'm missing that much excitement outside...who wants to go outside when it's 27 degrees? Really. Winter is here and it's here to stay. Last year we had 60 degree weather the day after Christmas and we didn't get any snow until the end of January...but enough complaining. Let's talk about food. Because that's what we do when we are trapped inside a house most of the day. We cook and then we eat.

I made this to-die-for cauliflower soup yesterday. The Pioneer Woman had it on her website (and if you don't know about the Pioneer Woman then you are missing out!) You MUST check out her website www.thepioneerwoman.com This is one website I enjoy checking often. She has photography tips and tutorials, hilarious posts, recipes with pictures! Yes, she has pictures for every single step of her recipes...I especially LOVE her recipes because she cooks with fresh ingredients...Check her out, you will not regret it!

{Photo courtesy of The Pioneer Woman website}

Back to the Cauliflower Soup. It was to DIE for! Every time I go to the grocery store and see cauliflowers, I always wish I had a good cauliflower recipe. I finally found this soup...and what is winter without soup? Try it. It's easy and delicious...I got some sourdough fresh bread from Safeway Bakery, sliced it and toasted it and my oh my! It was amazing!...You can find the recipe HERE.

I walked by grasshopper cookies the other day while at the store and I couldn't resist and got some! I don't know how many of you know this really cool trick (I was introduced to it in college)...warm up some milk in a bowl, bite a little bit of cookie at the top and bottom and then suck the milk through the cookie for a few seconds and then pop the cookie in your mouth...well...I tried it again last night (it had been years) and MAN!!!! It was heaven in my mouth...like the little rat from ratatouille who imagines fireworks in his mouth when he's eating...that was me last night. That cookie just melted in my mouth, it was a heavenly experience.

So I guess, one can find joy and happiness in the middle of winter...food...that is the answer...and if you think it'll ruin your new year's resolution to lose weight...I'll tell you a secret...PORTION CONTROL. You can eat anything you want but in small quantities. Count your calories. It works. So, instead of eating 10 of those grasshopper cookies, have 4 (150 calories) it's a great after- dinner dessert.

...and last but not least...my kids...they have been saying THE funniest things lately...the things they've been saying are so funny, I've been writing them down so I won't forget them. Here's a conversation I had with Brielle a little while ago: (Braden also had some input)

Denisse: Who is Heavenly Father?
Brielle: He has a white beard, white eyes, an old face and white teeth.
Braden: He has white shoes.
Denisse: What does He do?
Brielle: He helps people wrap the presents.
Denisse:Who is Jesus?
Brielle: He came down from the sky and has a brown beard.

{This photo is at the National Building Museum a few weeks ago}

On another occasion we were having some ice cream for dessert after dinner (as bribery for Braden to finish his dinner) after putting the bowl of ice cream in front of Braden, this is what he said:

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, that's a lot of ice cream!"

{This photo is so blurry but I think it depicts how much Braden LOVES his new Buzz-Lightyear. Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Jensen for the Buzz...it has become Braden's favorite toy}

Brielle was having a conversation with her tío Kem.
Kem asked her, "What do you call people from Perú?
Brielle answered, "Hey! Come over here!"

{so much love, they fight but do love each other}

Lastly, Brielle and Braden were fighting about something Braden had broken. This was the conversation we had about the occurrence:

Brielle: Look mom! Braden broke it!
Denisse: Oh no!
Brielle: Braden, you're mean!
Braden: I no mean Brielle, I'm not bugging anybody!


Oh! one more! Brielle has inherited my very sensitive sense of smell...one day my brother was eating something that had a really strong smell...she didn't like it so she put stickers on her nose so she wouldn't have to smell it...silly...

...and besides food, I find joy and happiness in these two children...

{Happy Winter!}

8 comments:

Eric&Lisa said...

I love pioneer woman too! Her recipes are all soo good. Hope you feel better soon!

Kelly Munns said...

haha that is so cute! i love all your conversations...i can especially hear "oh my gosh, oh my gosh. that is a lot of ice cream!" cute...

Rebecca Robison said...

I loved the who is "Heavenly Father" conversation so much, I shared it with the Valient 10 and 11 year olds! They thought it was funny too:)
Also,

Jeremy and I are very seriously thinking about coming to see you guys in Washington DC!!! (During my spring break)

Let us know what you guys think...

I hope you get better! Lots and lots of rest and oj : )

brittanyandtravis said...

Cute pictures. Feel better soon!

Emily and Seth said...

I'm sorry you're sick, it stinks! I got sick on Christmas. Good timing. I love your blog! I'm so glad you blog. I am so terrible at it. Life is so busy, and during school, when I have to stare at a computer 6 hours a day, blogging is not on my list. I love the funny quotes, and the picture of Braden hugging Brielle. They are going to be so grateful to have all this documented some day.

Sarah Stout said...

Evan and I got sick last week! Not fun! I hope you guys recover soon. :)

P.S. I have been following Pioneer Woman's blog posts for a few years now. She is hilarious and talented!

Justin said...

That soup looks so yummy!!! I am going to have to try it soon. I love soup in the winter! And grasshopper cookies! We used to do the same thing but with hot chocolate....YUMMY!!!
~Stacey

PS. I love all the cute things your kiddos have been saying! I need to start writing Jack's funny comments down. That's a great idea!

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

Mmm...that soup might just make it to my dinner table tomorrow night! It looks so good! Hope you are feeling better. It is so hard to be sick when your a mom because you don't really get a "sick day." Life still goes on, but I hope you get feeling better soon!