Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Conversations.

To say that we are ready for spring and summer would be an understatement. We are so ready. This has been a long winter with too much snow and too many sick days for everyone. A few mornings ago, I opened my bedroom window and I heard the birds chirping.
It gave me hope.
I can't wait for t-shirt, shorts and sandals kind of weather.

In the meantime, Scott and I have been enjoying our conversations with Brielle and Braden. They are both growing up so much and I don't have the little babies I used to have any more.

We have been having the most interesting conversations with Brielle lately. She is very concerned with God and Jesus. One night she asked:

Brielle: Mom, why did they kill Jesus?
Me: Because they didn't understand that He was the son of God. But did you know that Jesus is alive? He came back to life after he died, he resurrected!
Brielle: He came back to normal!
Denisse: Yup!
Brielle: What happened to his blood?
Me: He has special blood.

On another occasion on the way to drop her off to preschool she asked:

Brielle: Mom, does God and Jesus have a body?
Me: Yes, they do, they have bodies like you and me.
Brielle: But where are they? I can't see them!

This little girl's brain is always going at 100 miles an hour...I hope I'm doing okay at answering sooooooo many questions that she's been asking lately!


Inspired by my dear friend Timber, who has school with her children every day, I have started to work with my kids at home, too. (I love Timber because she inspires me so much, she always gives me such good ideas and encouragement.) Even though, Brielle goes to preschool twice a week, we still work at home. I think she enjoys it. It gives us all something to do during these winter days.


Brielle is beginning to trace her name and I think if I continue to work with her she'll be writing it soon. She can also read the words: cat, pig, dog, rat, sun and God.


Braden has been into it too and has been tracing shapes, he's getting pretty good at holding the pen.


This specific day, Braden started coloring with a white crayon. He was a little confused when he didn't see any color, he said:

"Mom! It doesn't work!"

I had to explain to him that you can't really see the color white.

We have also been enjoying our conversations with Mr. Braden. On one occasion he was banging his foot against the chair while we were having dinner. I asked him to please stop, he said:

"I'm being like a drum, mom!"

ha ha ha! How do I keep a straight face?!


Yesterday, I watched our friends' little girl Lillie, Anna (her mom) just had a baby boy. So Lillie came to play with us for the day while her daddy went to be with Anna and the baby. My kids loved her and we had such a fun time with her.


We made this fun activity I saw on Family Fun a while ago with jello and food coloring. We made the jello and then put some in bags for them to squeeze it. They enjoyed it, but I think they enjoyed eating the remaining jello more than the actual activity!


Blue tongue.


Cinderella, Woody and Snow White came to visit me yesterday, so we had a party! We played music and danced!


Woody was making the move on Cinderella.

They danced for a good while together, holding hands!
After they were done dancing he came to me and said:
"Mom, I love Lillie."

I wanted to remind him of what he told me a while ago when I was putting him to bed. He grabbed my face, very softly and gently and said:

"Mom, you my favorite gwirl eva."

{Don't forget that Braden!} :)


This morning, Scott was helping Braden put his shoes on to go drop Scott at the metro. This is the conversation they had:

Scott: Braden, come here. Let's put on your army shoes.
Braden: Those no my army shoes dad, those are my running shoes.
They no for my arms, they for my feet!

Scott and I couldn't stop laughing!


{These are his "army" shoes}


One of my favorite things is to hear Brielle and Braden having conversations. The other day this was their conversation:

Braden: I have powers!
Brielle: I have powers too! We are powerful! We are super heroes!!!

I think it's true, they are MY super heroes!
I learn so much from them every day.

12 comments:

Becca said...

Such cute stories- those are definitely ones for the journals. :)

Aleisha said...

your stories make me excited for future conversations with my kids :)

Nat Heaton said...

Denise - Every time I read your blog I am so impressed and touched by your words. You make me want to be a better mom. You are truly amazing. Your stories remind me what a gift our kids are and what a blessing it is to be a mom.

I hope you don't mind me stopping by your blog every once in a while. Your family is so darling!

Nat Heaton (Jonathan's Sis-in-law)

penny said...

ICAN'T BELEIVE HOW SMART MY GREATS ARE!! LOVE THE CUTE STORIES AND THE PICTURES. BRIELLE SO SERIOUS WRITING AND BRADEN DANCING WITH LILLY AND HIS PONY SO CUTE.

Timber said...

Denisse,
I just love your latest blogs. They are wonderful. I love the tracing page you did for Brielle, what a good idea. I am going to do that. So much fun at the museum. Ace would have loved that. I had to show him the pictures. Wow, that was a ton of snow as well. It is fun to get to know yor little one's through the stories. Love ya Timber

Jana said...

it sounds so familiar! Parker, also, is upset when his white crayon is broken, and tells me all day long about his super powers. :)

Miss you guys!

mamabear said...

Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca Robison said...

there is always so much to comment on! i always start laughing or saying something to myself and then jeremy asks, "whats up" and then i have him read the post you wrote too!

LOVE the name writing.
LOVE the questions brielle asks.
LOVE that they have powers!

OH! and it is so true,

I looked up flights to DC the day after we got off the phone.

we'll be comin down the mountain sometime!

Jani Jo said...

Those are the CUTEST superheroes ever! I am jealous you got to go to the Newseum! So cool. So fun to catch up on your family. Your kids are SO smart. And darling. I loved the 'army shoes' story...haha.

Mikey, Anna, Lillie and Sam said...

I can't tell you how much a appreciate you watching Lillie and those pictures confirm she had a great time. She has been talking about my Brielle and my Braden. She has also been riding her own little horse saying "Yee Haw riden' cowboy" I see where she gets it from now. I really need to bring her by more often she had so much fun. Thanks again.

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

I love their conversations! I can totally imagine their their sweet voices as I read! Your kids really do have superpowers, and you and Scott do SUCH a good job with them!

Nat said...

Oh my word, you have such darling kids! I love their conversations and the way their little minds work. And way to go on staying so positive despite the winter blues! You inspire me!