These are the 3-month old shoes of a little boy who lives in my house.
Yes, you read correctly, 3-month old shoes.
How does one wear out a pair of shoes to the point where they have holes in them?
This is not the first pair of shoes with holes and worn out soles.
I often remind Braden to take it easy on his shoes, when I see him jumping in water puddles or rubbing them against the asphalt when he rides his bike or his scooter. As I was scolding him one time, Scott heard me and gently said, "Denisse, he's just a little boy. Let him play however he wants."
My budget driven mind had taken over. I do the math in my head $20-$25 every three months, I could be spending up to $100 a year on shoes for this little boy!
As I was cleaning the shoe organizer one night, I saw this pair of shoes.
I started to examine them and this brought me to reflection.
I realized that these worn pair of shoes with holes reveal that a healthy boy wears them.
He can run. He can ride a bike. He can ride a scooter. He can walk to school. He can play.
This little 6 year old boy is healthy, able and capable of putting holes in shoes!
At that moment, as I looked at those shoes I felt grateful that
they had holes in them and the soles were worn out.
I love my Braden and I'm forever grateful that he is a healthy child.
I think I can live with paying $100 a year for shoes...
2 comments:
What a beautiful post! I will try to remember this when John is 6 :)
This post melted my heart. Those worn out shoes look oh so familiar! What a great way to look at it!
Post a Comment