Saturday, November 17, 2012

Soccer Season and Lessons.


Soccer season ended two weeks ago and I can say that it was so much fun.  
It was Brielle and Braden's first time playing and they both did so well and got into it.  
Braden's games were inside a fieldhouse and I never could get a non-blurry picture in there.  
They had a good team and the coach was a Cuban-American from Miami...I could totally tell by the way he spoke that he had grown up in Miami...Coach Romero was a great coach and Braden had a blast playing.  
Braden is the perfect little size to get in there and steal the ball.  
He made 3 goals this season.  We were so proud of him! and he was just beyond excited! 
I must admit that, without even realizing it, I am a very competitive person.  It is something I don't see in myself, but I am (for good or bad).  I became the mom that would yell from the sidelines, 'get in there!', 'go get that ball!' Man! You know? like one of 'those moms''?  One day, Scott came to one of the games.  I was telling Braden, 'you need to focus bud!'.  Braden got a little bit exasperated and said, 'I am! mom!, I'm trying!' Scott looked at me and said, 'you need to chill, it's about having fun.' I realized at that moment that I was not making it fun for him.  I didn't want to be that mother to my children.  It's okay to motivate your children but it's not okay to not make it fun for them (the tiger mother would probably disagree.) 
I learned that sometimes, I need to take a chill pill. 
My mom used to often say to us in Spanish, 'ganar o perder, la cosa es jugar'...to win or to lose, playing is what matters...and that became something that we talked a lot with Brielle and Braden this season. 
Braden learned some lessons too, like being a good sport and trying his very best.  
One day he said, 'we are all winners when we are trying our best!' 
It was a moment that brought laughter and tears to my eyes. 


Brielle did so well also.  She got into it.  It was funny to watch her interact with her little friends on practice day.  Her 'favorite boy' was in the team and as you tell from the picture above, she was ecstatic! 
This little boy is a nice little neighbor friend.  They are both in first grade and get along really well (most of the time).  I have to reiterate that this little 'crush' is not encouraged by neither Scott nor I.  But I guess that is the way life is for a girl from the beginning...:) 
Brielle is really outgoing and is one of the sweetest little girls...I am biased of course.  But there is a kindness about her, she is generally never mean-spirited (except with her little brother, but not often.) Kindness and compassion for others is something we often talk to our children about.  It is important to both Scott and I, that those traits are deeply instilled in them...and it is something, that I think comes naturally to Brielle. 
  

Brielle is a good little runner.  She is not as competitive natured as Braden, which can be a good thing!:) But she still likes to do her best and get in there! 


The team was great and coach Amy was awesome.  All of these little kids are in the same grade and in the same primary class. 


Many lessons were learned this season and we had many memorable moments of fun! 
We are all excited for Spring!:)

3 comments:

Rebecca Robison said...

Oh my goodness how fun! Also, Brielle looks like she is going on 16 since I have seen her last! What a gorgeous little girl!

RebeckerOnline said...

Oh man! Look at them putting their energy to great use!

Miss you guys a lot.

We do need to catch up. I see you aren't on Facebook and so I sent Scot a note, but maybe I have your email and just forgot.

This week is horrible with a class, but we should plan sometime the 2nd week of December to catch up!

It looks like you are enjoying yourselves out there! Good for you. I'm going out that way in March and so hopefully you will be there. Will let you know details later.

Great pics!
Rebecca

Becca said...

Your kids are growing up so fast!! It was fun catching up on your blog.